While you’ve likely heard about savings bonds before, it can be confusing to know just how these forms of investment work.
As this video explains, a U.S. savings bond is one of the oldest ways for Americans to save money. Credit union members can obtain a bond, which acts as a deposit with the U.S. Treasury and matures over time. As their value increases, bonds offer buyers a higher rate of reward on their initial investment.
While many investors are also turning to mutual funds and stocks, savings bonds continue to be one of the preferred ways for Americans to save and generate new wealth. Here at GCS Credit Union , we’re dedicated to helping each of our O’Fallon members save for his or her future. Call us at (618) 797-7993 to find out if savings bonds could be your key to a healthier financial life.
A trip to your local credit union doesn’t only offer financial benefits to the adults in your household. Thanks to GCS Credit Union’s fun and rewarding youth services, kids can also enjoy the unique money-saving opportunities that our financial institution has to offer. Here is a closer look at credit union services available to children:
Start Your Little Ones Off on the Right Foot with Cub Club
- Even if your little one is still in diapers, you can ensure that he or she has a promising future by opening a Cub Club account in his or her name with a simple five-dollar payment. As a member of the Cub Club, kids 10 and under will enjoy exclusive rewards like invitations to GCS Credit Union-sponsored events and a subscription to the Rockstar Saver newsletter.
Teach Kids the Principles of Saving with CU Savers
- With the cost of education becoming more expensive each year, there’s no better time to start saving than when your child is young. 11- to 13-year-olds can learn about the importance of saving for big investments like college with the CU Savers program. Members in this club are eligible to receive VIP invitations to special events and a newsletter that contains helpful information on saving money .
Make Investing More Rewarding with Get Mo’ Green
- As a parent, it can be tricky to find things that your increasingly independent teen might consider to be cool or interesting. Thanks to the Get Mo’ Green program at O’Fallon’s GCS Credit Union, saving and making money is just that: a surefire way to get your teen excited and motivated for his or her future.
No matter how old, or young, your children are, they can sign up for any one of the rewarding savings programs offered here at GCS Credit Union. A savings account will not only prepare them for the future, but also encourage them to be independent and responsible. Call us at (618) 797-7993 to learn more about our youth services.
Two of the biggest perks of becoming a member at your local credit union are a more intimate banking environment and the staff’s interest in your financial well-being. If you’re looking for more advice on how to protect your financial investments, be sure to check out these links from around the web. If you haven’t already made the switch to a credit union, there’s no better time than now. Call GCS Credit Union of O’Fallon at (618) 797-7993 to learn more about the benefits of becoming a member.
- Purchasing a savings bond is one of the safest investments you can make. Learn more about the different types of bonds available by reading this Treasury Direct article.
- If you’re still unsure about making the switch from your old bank, let BankRate.com shed a little more light on what your new banking experience at a credit union would be like.
- You can read more about the stability that a credit union offers to your finances in this article from the Long Island Newsday .
- Find out what the major differences are between a credit union and a bank by heading over to CNN Money online.
- If you have kids or if you’re a teen yourself, be sure to take a look at this article from MSN to get great money-saving tips .
While exploring your options for saving and making money with your local credit union , chances are you’ve encountered plenty of information on savings bonds. With several different types of bonds available to investors, you may be unsure of which is the right one for your unique financial situation and how it might come to benefit you. Here is a closer look at how savings bonds work:
A Simple Purchase at Half the Marked Value
- To purchase a savings bond and begin the process of accruing money to redeem in the future, you simply need to visit SavingsBonds.gov. Bonds worth $50 are sold at $25, for example. Bonds can be purchased at half value in increments up to $60,000. They can, however, also be sold at face value depending on the particular bond.
A Secure Investment with a Gradual Return Guarantee
- Purchasing a savings bond is one of the safest investments you can make, since they have the backing of the Federal government. Over time, the bonds’ value increases, and within 20 years, it’s virtually guaranteed that you will get a full return on your investment.
Varying Rates of Maturation Based on Bond Type
- The two most common types of bonds available are the EE and I bonds . I bonds cannot be cashed in until at least five years after they are purchased at their face value, which is a maximum of $5,000. EE bonds, on the other hand, do not fluctuate based on inflation and are simply affected by a fixed rate of return.
To find out firsthand how you could benefit from a savings bond, visit GCS Credit Union in O’ Fallon. Our friendly and knowledgeable team can guide you in your purchase to benefit your overall savings strategy. Call us at (618) 797-7993 to learn more about how we can help you with your finances.
Credit union members can save $120 per year ($10 per month for the first 12 months) on new DIRECTV service when activated through Invest in America. In addition, you can also get a $40 rebate on new DIRECTV service.
DIRECTV is America’s #1 satellite television provider offering access to over 285 all-digital channels and 160+ HD channels, including family programming, exclusive sports packages, local channels, music and award-winning movies. DIRECTV’s exclusive offer for credit union members includes:
- FREE HBO, SHOWTIME, starz & Cinemax for 3 months
- FREE Upgrades – GENIE HD DVR & up to 3 DIRECTV CLIENTS*
- Save $10 per month for 2 years on Advanced Receiver Service with Auto Bill Pay
- $40 rebate from Invest In America
- No equipment to buy
- No start-up costs
- Free professional installation for up to 4 rooms
- Satellite music channels included
- 99% worry-free signal reliability**
- Local channels included***
- #1 in Customer Satisfaction
Click on the image above or visit the DIRECTV page at LoveMyCreditUnion.org for complete details about this exclusive offer for credit union members.
OFFER ENDS 2/6/2013 and is subject to change without notice. All DIRECTV offers require 24-month agreement. Terms & conditions apply. Credit card required (except in MA & PA). New approved customers only (lease required). Handling & delivery fee may apply. Applicable use tax adjustment may apply on the retail value of the installation. Programming/pricing may vary in certain markets. *Additional & Advanced Receiver fees apply, select models only. **Based on a national study of representative cities. ***Eligibility for local channels based on service address. Not all networks available in all markets.
It’s never too early for young people to start thinking about their financial future. Putting aside just a few dollars each month could make all the difference when it comes to affording expenses like college tuition, school books, and student housing.
Thanks to GCS Credit Union, young adults and kids can open savings accounts with just a few short and simple steps. As you will learn in this video, all it takes is a five-dollar deposit to open a savings account and sign up your child to be a Cub Club member.
If you open a savings account today, you will be investing in a bright financial future for your son or daughter. To learn more about the youth services available here at GCS Credit Union, call us today at (618) 797-7993.
Many customers of big banks are beginning to discover the benefits of banking with a local credit union . From countless fees to impersonal customer service, the disadvantages of working with a big bank make it easy to see why there’s no better time than now to make the switch to a credit union. Here is a look at the switch kit offered here at GCS Credit Union:
Redirect Your Paycheck to its New Home
- If your paycheck or other monthly income is directly deposited into your bank account each month, you will need to contact your employer or respective financial contributor and provide him or her with your new GCS Credit Union account information. This includes your new account number and the GCS routing number.
Manage Your Automatic Monthly Withdrawals
- In addition to payments coming in, payments going out can be easily transferred to your new checking account. You can facilitate these transfers using your GCS-issued debit card, automatic withdrawal, or online bill pay.
Secure Any Pending Payments from Your Old Account
- As a future member of O’Fallon’s GCS Credit Union, you will need to make sure that all of your outgoing checks or automatic bill pay statements have cleared before closing out your old bank account. This is an important step in making the switch , since it could affect your credit score and immediate financial future.
Wave Goodbye to Being a Customer and Say Hello to Being a Member
- Once all of the aforementioned steps have been completed, you can bid farewell to the days of excessive fees and impersonal banking. Instead of being a customer, you’ll be a member of your local credit union and will continuously reap the rewards of a more personal banking experience.
If you have further questions about making the switch to a credit union, contact your local GCS Credit Union branch today. You can find us in 3 cities within the greater O‘Fallon area. To set up a consultation at your nearest branch , call us today at (618) 797-7993.
Why spend more than you should to have someone else do your taxes for you? TurboTax® puts the power in your hands to keep more of your hard earned money, with the peace-of-mind of knowing you have experts in your corner every step of the way.
- TurboTax is customized to your situation, searching for the latest deductions and credits based on your job, family, and life so you know you’ll get every penny you deserve.
- TurboTax is there year-round with expert help when you need it, so you won’t get stuck if you have a question. All TurboTax tax professionals are experienced CPAs, EAs or Tax Attorneys.1
- With TurboTax you’ll get your taxes done right. TurboTax calculations are guaranteed 100% accurate2 and you’re guaranteed to get your maximum refund – or your money back. 3
Plus, as a GCS Credit Union member, you can save on TurboTax® federal products .
Get started with TurboTax today and save!
1 Service, experience levels, hours of operation and availability vary and are subject to change without notice. Tax Attorneys are not providing legal advice and are authorized under IRS Circ 230 to provide tax assistance and advice. Live tax advice is a free service.
2 Accurate calculations guaranteed. If you pay an IRS or state penalty or interest because of a TurboTax calculations error, we’ll pay you the penalty and interest.
3 Maximum (Biggest) Refund Guaranteed or Your Money Back: If you get a larger refund or smaller tax due from another tax preparation method, we’ll refund the applicable TurboTax federal and/or state purchase price paid. TurboTax Federal Free Edition customers are entitled to payment of $14.95 and a refund of your state purchase price paid. Claims must be submitted within 60 days of your TurboTax filing date and no later than 6/15/13. Optional add-on services excluded. Cannot be combined with TurboTax Satisfaction (Easy) Guarantee.
© 2012 Intuit Inc. All rights reserved. State filing charges apply. Limited time offer for TurboTax 2012. Terms, conditions, features, availability, pricing, fees, service and support options subject to change without notice. Intuit, TurboTax and TurboTax Online, among others, are registered trademarks and/or service marks of Intuit Inc. in the United States and other countries. Other parties’ trademarks or service marks are the property of their respective owners.
Have you ever wondered how some of today’s biggest banks are making money despite the lagging economy?
This video offers a hilarious parody of the Mac and PC commercials by comparing big banks with credit unions. Big banks and financial institutions make most of their money by charging high interest rates and penalty fees to their customers. Credit unions, on the other hand, are member-focused and therefore do not charge outrageous fees, but rather give the profits back to the members. Watch this clip for more information, and for a good laugh.
Don’t be just another customer to a large banking corporation. Get the individualized financial products to fit your needs by contacting GCS Credit Union of Illinois online or by calling (618) 797-7993.